Good day Spartan Band Members and Supporters
Our meeting on 8/28/2014 was a great success. We had a really large turn out by supporters and students, and we are very excited about the upcoming events centered on the students.
The primary goal of the WSMS Spartan Band Boosters is to provide an environment where our band students can enrich their time at WSMS, and to grow and learn musically. Here are some of the ways that our efforts will be directed:
- Professional development, including conferences (such as MidWest Clinic), which have many benefits to the band.
- Private instructors for the students.
- Guest artists, such as the upcoming UT Martin percussion ensemble (would like about $500)
- National Association for Music Education ($100 per year national dues)
During the meeting we received many wonderful ideas from parents that will help us with our above goals.
- Selling “cronuts” which would be unique to Memphians.
- Selling band shirts or jackets.
- Selling McDonald’s coupons which don’t expire. The person making this suggestion offered to research further.
- A car wash (We are moving forward with this idea quickly, and will provide more information on this shortly).
- Emily Fowler asked boosters to seek out and be aware of businesses that would sponsor the band or match donor gifts.
Also at the meeting we were fortunate to have a guest speaker.
Vince McCaskill joined us to describe the partnership that now exists between the WSMS Spartan Band Boosters and SchoolSeed.org. Using SchoolSeed.org allows the Boosters to manage the funds we collect in an efficient and timely manner. Using SchoolSeed.org will allow us to collect monies for our students’ academic enrichment, and ensures that they are used in a transparent and responsible manner.
The full meeting minutes can be found here. You can read them online, or download them to your own device.
That is all for now. Have a great day, and thank you for the support you are providing.
WSMS Spartan Band Boosters